This article talks about how developers have connected just about every piece of technology together with an exception to the television. The television can get movies from Netfilx but other than that it is just a TV. Developers are thinking about hooking televisions up to IPads and IPhones. They are trying to replace the remote control with one of these devices too. It sounds like they would like the television to be more interactive and to have more features than just to play shows. Developers are also trying to get Tablets and IPads to do split screens to watch TV on one side and to play with other apps on the other side. I guess this would be a good idea and the next appropriate focus but I don't think it is really necessary. I also think that a lot of the technology that we have now is not necessary, like watching movies on your phone. Why would you want to watch a movie on that small of a screen? If your answer is to keep your children occupied while running errands, I still don't think it is a good idea because I believe that makes them more prone to becoming ADD or ADHD. They also become bored with anything that is not electronic. Like I said before I see this as an ok thing but it's not necessary.
Rowinski, D. (2012, July 2). It is time to hack the future of tv.
Retrieved from
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/07/it-is-time-to-hack-the-future-of-tv.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: readwriteweb (ReadWriteWeb)&utm_content=Google Reader
I think the next generation of electronics are going to include devices with lots of overlapping technologies. Its going to be interesting (and expensive) to keep up with.
ReplyDeleteI agree Chris. I was looking at TVs the other day and a lot of them have built in wireless and tons of apps. I was thinking about getting a Google TV box versus an Apple TV recently, but it looks like stuff is just going to get built all into the TV sooner than later!
ReplyDeleteAshley,
DeleteI agree with most of what you said above in your comment on the article that you read. I do see some benefit in kids being able to watch shows on Ipads. It is convenient and keeps them busy. I mean I am an adult, and I can easily occupy myself, but I watched movies just this week on two-hour flights in order to pass time. That doesn’t mean I get bored easily, but watching movies just makes the time go quicker and is enjoyable. The rest of my trip I never turned on the television or played with my Iphone. A similar argument was more than likely made when mini-vans started coming out with television. I think kids should be more active, but I also think if parents push kids to be active throughout childhood then technology would not be a center for arguing that kids today have ADD, ADHD, get bored, or are lazy. I think the problem is a combination of components. However, I do not see the necessity in creating an app friendly television. I do believe people will purchase them though. People already have phones and computers that tend to be in their laps or hands when they watch television and why not just use it on the screen than multitasking two devices in separate locations? I do agree with Chris as well.