Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Alaska drilling: From 'hell no!' to ... 'OK'

This is a very controversial topic. Drilling in Alaska could have so many benefits but there are also a lot of things put on the line if they drill. There is a lot of wildlife in the water there and that wildlife helps the culture survive. I would not want to be the person faced with this decision. I did notice that the Eskimo leader made his decision as he was leaving office. The Eskimo leader gave the "ok" to start drilling and I am glad that the company will stop if the whales are near the sites but there is one thing that raised a red flag for me. The article said that because of the ice they had to delay the work and now they are in a time crunch because they have to stop by October. From what I have seen, companies care more about profit than anything else and even though they promised to take every precaution and to treat this with extreme care, I could see them rushing to get as much done as possible so they are not too far behind and don't lose money. I could also see this "rush" creating mistakes in putting things together to drill and having another leak occur. I hope they do keep their word and handle this location with extreme care......even though they should technically be doing that for every location because the effects of a spill are devastating.

1 comment:

  1. Drilling in the US is a great subject. While towns like Minot, ND have seen absolutely astonishing booms in their economy because of fracking, it has driven the price of most everything through the roof making it tough for the locals. I have no problem with drilling within the US or right off shore. Unattaching our reliance from foreign oil would mean some pretty amazing things. The funny/sad part about the oil we do drill is where it goes afterwords...

    ReplyDelete